Tuesday, January 30, 2018

rainy days...

Weather man has predicted rain...lots of it...which we need 
but it is also cyclone time and a cyclone could be lurking in those red blotches (clearly visible in the radar map below) and make our lives miserable....  

My cucumber patch is  bursting with fruit at the moment....and a cyclone or prolonged period of rain would destroy the fruits.... 



 


Mr Google suggested pickling the cucumbers.....

so out in the rain I went and got some for me...
                                                some for the chooks 
                                             and some for the goats.....



 

I estimated the amount of jars needed and started to sterilize the jars....any excuse to cook on the fire...as you know by now... I Love My Fire.  

 



Sliced not too thick.....

 



layering the jars.  I used curry leaves as the dill in my garden was too young. I also used chili from the garden , pepper corns and cloves. 



 Curry leaves are the leaves of the curry tree, scientifically known as Murraya koenigii Spreng . The plant is native to India and is usually found in tropical and subtropical regions and grows profusely on our farm. 









The pickling fluid was a cup of water to half a cup of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of salt.





 

I think the pickled cucumber came out quite nice..... 









The kefir is also going well....feeding the grains every day!  






after a quick lunch I can now retire.... and spend the rest of the rainy day in cyberspace  ....






 Hoping for rain,
                          no flooding , 
                                           no damage and
                                                                   definately no cyclones.....




have a good day!












No comments:

Post a Comment